Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Pre-departure/Day One (Homework #1)

Your expectations of Brazilian culture
       I figured the people in Brazil would generally be friendlier than that of Boston. 
       I expect a lot of people to be out and about in the evening and for the city to feel very alive in the evenings with music playing, people eating outside, etc.
       Although I know that the city is large, I'm sure there will be countless tourists everywhere.
What preconceived notions you have about Brazil, what it will be like there, what the people will be like 
  • ·      Same response as the question above
    • I figured the people in Brazil would generally be friendlier than that of Boston. 
    • I expect a lot of people to be out and about in the evening and for the city to feel very alive in the evenings with music playing, people eating outside, etc.
    • Although I know that the city is large, I'm sure there will be countless tourists everywhere.
How you think it will feel being in another country when you do not know the customs or the language
  • ·      I have travelled a fair amount, particularly to countries in which I don’t know the customs or the language. Having seen a fair amount different cultures and customer I don’t think the difference between Brazilian and American customs and cultures will shock me much. I’m sure I will get familiar with it quickly by simply observing the locals around me and talking to the locals as much as I can in order to quickly orient myself with the city that I am staying in with the group for most of the dialogue.

What it will be like to immerse yourself in another culture
  • ·      Immersing yourself in another culture is like walking through the door of a whole new world (think Alice in Wonderland). You learn quickly what’s expected of you and what to expect from others. You learn the customs quickly and even some phrases. By the end of the dialogue I’m sure it will feel like the time went by too quickly. Being immersed in another culture is a very exciting and exhilarating experience, while also rather humbling as well for you realize that there are so many unique cultures in the world to learn about and explore.

What you will do to learn about the other culture and experience it
  • ·      I shall look up more about Brazilian culture while I’m here but I plan on mainly talking to the locals (tourist information centers and our tour guides) in order to learn as much as I can as quickly as I can. Also getting myself out of my comfort zone should do the trick in terms of fully experiencing the culture in Brazil. 

No comments:

Post a Comment